Thursday, September 27, 2007

Eine einfach Ähnlichkeit (A Simple Similarity)

Just about an hour or so ago, I was waiting at the bus stop to return home to Wehrda for a quick bit to eat when I had one of those moments that reminded me of days gone by and, in this instant, I felt a fondness for both of my homes...
A bus had pulled up, pretty packed full of people commuting home (mainly adults, a few with small children, but it was not the crowd of hooligans that one finds on the bus after schools let out). A young boy in particular caught my eye as he was vigorously wiping off the window's condensation so that he could peer through part of the bus' advertisement. We caught eyes for a moment and then he lost interest and began to write in the condensation with the tip of his finger. At that time, his mother leaned over and drew a tic-tac-toe board and you could tell that she was teaching how to play this game (quite possible for the first time). I am not sure if the game goes by the same name here in Germany since I have not been able to find it referenced anywhere. But for me, it was a moment where I forgot all the differences between cultures and country and marveled in the grace of such sweet simplicity!

No comments: